1. Home
  2. Knowledge Base
  3. Policies Support
  4. Policies & Procedures
  5. Telephone Assistance Program

March 2019
Under the state Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP), you may be eligible for assistance in paying your telephone bill if you receive benefits from certain low-income assistance programs. You may receive the TAP credit on one landline per household.

You may be eligible if you meet the following criteria:

The telephone service must be in your name and you must show proof that you, or a member of your household, participate in one or more of the following qualifying programs:

  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
  • Medicaid/Medical Assistance (MA)
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program(SNAP)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension benefit programs

Additional qualifying programs for persons living on a reservation:

  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
  • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
  • Tribally Administered Head Start (for those meeting income-qualifying standards)
  • Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)

If you do not participate in any of the programs listed above, you may still qualify if your income is at or below 135% of the 2019 Federal Poverty Guidelines.

2019 Federal Poverty Guidelines – 135%

Household Size Income
1 $16,862
2 $22,821
3 $28,796
4 $34,763
5 $40,730
6 $46,697
7 $52,664
8 $58,631
For each additional person, add $5,967

For more information or to receive an application, visit mn.gov/puc/telecommunications/telephone-discounts or call HBC at (888) 474-9995.

Was this article helpful?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Related Articles